Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A step in the right direction

A schnauzer has his uses. I could list them all but it would be a long list! And anyway modesty bids me to keep it short. It seems I have helped some less fortunate dogs than me.

So, let me tell you about my weekend. I went for a walk. Nothing unusual about that except that this walk was a pack walk and Mum had to make a donation so we could join. I didn't like to tell her that I would walk for free! Mum said we were helping homeless dogs but I wasn't sure how. Maybe I was supposed to find them when we were walking or something.

It all happened at an animal shelter in a place called Kildare. (This could be just me but if it's called Kil-anything, I'm wary straight away....). However, it turned out to be a nice place, lots of grass to run about in. And so many dogs. Well, I bounded out of the car, eager to introduce myself... with long and loud barks in any and all directions. A German Shepherd dog growled at me. I blame the stupid yellow fluffy ribbon Mum put on my collar. I wish she hadn't. I'm certain that's what got the German Shepherd riled up.

Apart from that, it was great fun. Off we went, me and Mum and Dad and all these other dogs. As the only schnauzer in the pack, I felt that I was representing the breed. And threw in a good few barks along the way to keep the schnauzer flag flying.

And I met a new friend. He and I shared a drink of water. And a little sniff or two. I could tell he was an all round good guy. So I showed him how good I am at jumping. And he showed me his moves which were not bad. And we had a quick game of tug with an old rope toy. I let him win. No, he only won because I let him, I could have won but I didn't want to show off.

Funny thing, when the walk was finished, I headed off with Mum and Dad. His Mum or Dad were nowhere in sight.

When I was getting into our car, settling down on my blanket for a snooze after all that adventure I saw him one more time. He was being led into a pen by one of the shelter people and they were closing a big gate behind him. I gave a friendly yip in his direction and bounced to catch his eye.

He looked in my direction but I don't know if he saw me. Then we drove away. I never did find the homeless dogs but I sure hope things work out for them.




4 comments:

  1. Wow Isaac - what a fab walk. Glad to hear that you too bound out of your humans car barking - that's what we do best! Thanks for dropping by our blog too, this is new to us but we're loving the new friends, bye for now, Dexter & Louis x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Isaac, sounds like a fun walk. If its any consolation I always get a pink ribbon on my collar from the dog groomer and my mum makes me wear it for days........humans!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ya Isaac, I'm a mini schnauzer from Adelaide Australia - and my mum and I just found your bloggie!! I'm soooo excited to read a bloggie from a fellow schnauzer ( and such a cute one ;-) ) and I've already noticed that you are very wise and have sussed out a lot from your humans! I'm going to enjoy reading all about you! Drop by and see me too!! Tail Wuggles, Rubie.

    ReplyDelete